This is my grandfather. He was born in 1919 and would have been 96 in November. On Sunday I sat in a hospital room holding his hand in silence.
As his chest would rise and fall I remembered when he would really laugh. His chest would jiggle and shake because the laugh would be trying to burst out of such a stoic person. The first time I saw this happen it made the joke even better.
On the counter beside his bed was a comb. He always had one in his pocket which he would often pull out run it through the front to smooth out his wave the same hair style that was all the rage when he was a young man.
His hand that I held even at the end looked big and strong. Strong from being the patriarch for his family. Strong from helping thousands of families gracefully say goodbye to loved ones. Strong from never shirking from what needed to be done. The world needs more of these kind strong hands but for today I morn the loss of his. I will miss you Grandpa and will be forever grateful.
Year 4 week 18
– We bought cotton balls today for crafting. Rose is really insistent that we should eat them. She can’t understand that they are not for eating.
– Rose is excited about her back pack for school. She has packed and repacked it with things that she thinks she will need. Like her princesses, movies, and a few other things.
Year 1 Week 21
– He had become interested in books but going along with his tastes all books must be car or animal related.
– Charlie favorite part of our last summer vacation was sitting in the jeep pretending to drive fast and furious.
Sometimes when Rose asks to take pictures with my camera she get a few gems that capture our real life.
And then she gets a few not so gem worthy ones.
Year 4 Week 17
– There was a leak in the back yard so we had to dig it up. Rose grabed her pink sand shovel and started helping. She didn’t notice that each scoop sent a shower of rocks my direction.
– Rose’s favorite song is the opening ice song from Frozen. Her favorite story is Cars. Her favorite toy is her my little ponies.
Year 1 week 20
– Anything that is circular in shape and looks like a button becomes a beep beep button to drive with.
– When we go to someone’s house or they come to ours Charlie thinks I might be leaving him. His bottom lip goes out and he starts to cry.
More Flamingos. They have stayed strong in public opinion this whole summer.
Great shape- Check
Fun animal- Check
I can still see why all the peeps like them.
welcome to the neighborhood- 1canoe2
crib sheets- new moms designs
lunch bag- apple and mint
book- Flora and the Flamingo
Year 4 Week 16
– At the end of the day she will turn off all the down stairs lights and tell us “the restaurant is closed”.
– Rose had an evaluation before she started preschool in a few weeks. She knew all of her colors and shapes except hexagon. She was solid on numbers 1-10 but needed some help on the teens. Knowing the letters of the alphabet both big and small was easy peasy but she didn’t fully understand when asked if three words all rhymed. I guess she needed at least one thing to work on during the year.
Year 1 Week 19
– Just like Rose Charlie tells daddy his job every morning. Charlie’s job is to have fun and to not scream.
– He popped out one back molar without me even noticing.
1- I plan on making these once life slows down again. Maybe I will invite a bunch of gals to make it will me. DIY mason jar vases
2- This year at the MET Gala there was lots of crazy fashion and lots of skin showing. There was one true Lady that looked amazing.
3- I don’t understand why people do not use all the space that is available in their kitchen. Cabinets should go all the way up to the ceiling.
4- I love the smell of coconut. Looking at my beauty things I realized this. My lotion, perfume, shampoo and conditioner, and leave in conditioner all smell like it. I might be on the border of being obsessed.